Applying nail polish is an art that not many people have mastered. However, the silver lining is that it is not difficult to become an expert at the job. All it requires is some practice and dedication. It brings us to the question of which manicure is a better option, the DIY job or salon experience. Let us examine the pros and cons of both these procedures and decide for ourselves.
A Salon Nail Manicure
When you become unwell, you visit a doctor. You do not try out the home medications, or do you? Similarly, seeking the services of a professional for a nail manicure is the right thing to do. Here are the benefits of having a salon manicure.
- Nail salons have professional manicurists attending to you. They use the latest equipment and ensure as perfect a job as possible.
- Generally, it is observed that a salon nail polish quickly dries off because they use a UV lamp for drying the polish.
- With experts attending to your nails, they look gorgeous and last long.
- Besides, one can enjoy the additional services of a massage along with your manicure. That can relax your nerves a lot.
Just as a salon manicure has its benefits, one should know the drawbacks, as well.
- A visit to a salon costs money.
- Generally, a salon manicure lasts long. However, not every salon uses quality products like DND gel nail polish.
- The most significant disadvantage of a salon manicure is that you never have the same color shade at home to do a touch-up.
- Once you use a salon for applying gel polish, it becomes essential to revisit them for its removal. Thus, you end up spending money again.
A DIY Home Manicure
We have dwelt upon some of the benefits and drawbacks of a salon manicure. Though a salon job can be professional, it costs money. In contrast, the DIY option seems to be a better one. Here are some advantages of a DIY nail polish job at home.
- A DIY job comes for free except for the cost of DND nail supplies. Anyway, you pay for the products when you use the salon, as well.
- If you have the talent, you can do an excellent job. The exciting aspect is that you can learn from your mistakes and become perfect with regular practice.
- You have the right shade ready with you if it needs a touch-up or a repair job.
- Removing the DND nail polish at home is also an easy affair.
We shall now look at some of the disadvantages of a home job to get a proper perspective.
- You lose out on the additional services that come with a salon manicure, like a cuticle clean-up or a massage.
- DIY nail polish at home tends to chip earlier when compared to a salon job.
- It can be challenging painting with your wrong hand. Invariably, it does not match the performance of your dominant hand. It takes a lot of practice to master the art of painting gel polish with both hands.
With this comparison, you can decide for yourself as to which is the perfect option for you. Let us now understand how to do a good nail manicure at home.
The Gel Polish DIY job
In contrast to what people feel, you can master the art of applying gel polish at home. You will need the following nail supplies ready on hand.
- Sterilized nail files
- Nail cleanser or nail polish remover
- Base Coat
- UV Lamp
Let us now begin with the process.
- The procedure starts with getting your nails ready for a gel polish job. One can use a sterilized nail file to buff the nails, especially around the edges. It gives the nail the desired shape. Besides, it smooths out the surface to make it easier.
- If you already have nail polish on your hands, you should remove them before starting the new application. You can use a good quality nail polish remover to ensure a perfect job.
- Apply the basecoat on your thumb and allow it to cure for around 15 seconds. Repeat the procedure for each of your fingers on one hand.
- Apply DND gel polish using light and thin strokes to avoid smudging. Do it one nail at a time. It is essential to cure the polish for a minimum of 30 seconds.
- Apply the topcoat to get an excellent luster. This coat might require curing your nails for 60 to 120 seconds.
- Repeat the procedure with the other hand.
- You have now become an expert at applying gel polish at home.
We can see that applying nail polish at home is not that challenging. However, you need practice. If you have the time, you can master the art. Otherwise, you have to shell out the dough for a salon manicure.